The Meriden Room Historical and Genealogy Collection is located on the second floor of the library and is available by appointment only.
The purpose of the Meriden Room Historical and Genealogy Collection is to collect, preserve, and make available for public use, materials relating to the history of the city of Meriden. Included in the collection is an assortment of newspaper articles, photos, yearbooks, city directories, genealogy books and magazines, maps, and more. Materials in this collection do not circulate but patrons are welcome to stay and research during open hours. There may be a minimal charge for historical and genealogical research when papers need to be printed out and mailed. The amount will cover paper, toner, and postage.
Collection Resources Include:
- Meriden City History – A collection of books detailing the city of Meriden, including A Century of Meriden, 150 Years of Meriden, and Meriden at 200: A Half-Century of Change.
- Meriden City Directories (1868 – 1992) – Provide a listing of Meriden residents, streets, and businesses during a particular year.
- Meriden Vertical Files – A collection of newspaper articles, photos, pamphlets, and more – all related to Meriden people, places, and things.
- Meriden Military History – Information on Meriden service people from WWI, WWII, Korean War, and Vietnam War.
- History and Genealogy Books and Magazines
- Ancestry.com Library Edition (available for use in the library) – Search genealogical records. Collections include birth, marriage, and death records, as well as censuses, immigration, military, and other records.
- Newspapers.com (available for use in the library) – Meriden newspapers dating back to 1868
- Index to Barbour Collection of Meriden Vital Statistics, 1806 – 1853
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps of Meriden, 1884 – 1950
- Hale Collection of Connecticut headstones inscriptions (1934), vols. 26 and 27
- Meriden newspapers, 1863 – 2020
- Census records for Meriden, 1790 – 1930
Visit the Meriden Public Library page on the Connecticut Digital Archive website to view photographs, school newspapers, and other Meriden historical items now digitized: MPL on CTDA
Yearbooks are now digitized and online! The following schools and years are available:
- Meriden High School, 1953 – 1958
- Maloney High School, 1959 – 2020
- Platt High School, 1959 – 2020
- Wilcox Technical High School, 1954 – 2020
To view the yearbooks or other digitized items, please visit the Meriden Public Library page on the Connecticut Digital Archive website via this link: MPL on CTDA.
Hard copy yearbooks are accessible in our Meriden Historical and Genealogy Collection located at our site at the Meriden Historical Society. To visit the collection or for other inquiries, please email Wanda at email@example.com.
Additional Resources for Meriden History
CT Digital Archive
The CTDA is part of the Digital Preservation Repository Program at the University of Connecticut.
Meriden Historical Society
The Meriden Historical Society, Inc., a non-profit corporation, acts as the official historian of the city of Meriden, CT.